Supporting people experiencing homelessness and psychosocial disability to access the NDIS.
Independent Community Living Australia (ICLA) has been funded by the NSW Ministry of Health under an Information, Linkages and Capacity Building (ILC) grant to deliver NDIS and mental health engagement, information provision, and skill building for consumers with a psychosocial disability who are experiencing homelessness. This project will operate for 12 weeks completing by 30 June 2019.
Project Embark involves two primary activities:
- Capacity building and knowledge exchange
- Facilitated engagement and Outreach to support people to access the NDIS
ICLA has 30+ years’ experience supporting people experiencing psychosocial disability to live independently within the community. We operate in the Sydney region, from Central, Eastern, Inner West through to southern Sydney.
Capacity Building and Knowledge Exchange:
Activities will involve workshops, capacity building, knowledge exchange and support for providers to identify people who may be eligible and supporting those individuals to access the NDIS. This will include travel to regional areas of NSW to undertake group forums and events.
Facilitated Engagement and Outreach
Facilitated engagement will include working with individuals identified by service providers in high contact with the target group who may be eligible for the NDIS and supporting them to embark on the process to access the NDIS.
Outreach activities such as
Individual support using ICLA’s ‘Greeting2Meeting’ process and ‘About Me’ resources will assist people to embark on the journey of accessing the NDIS.
The priority regions where we will be engaging with organisations and directly with individuals in the target group are:
- Sydney Local Health District
- Western Sydney Local Health District
- South West Sydney Local Health District
- South East Sydney Local Health District
- Central Coast Local Health District
- Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District
- Hunter New England Local Health District
- Northern NSW Local Health District
Working in Partnership
ICLA is seeking support from organisations working in the mental health, disability and homelessness sectors including:
- We have several NDIS Peer Navigator roles to fill and given the project timeframe, would be eager to second people who have experience in homelessness/mental health or lived experience from partner organisations where possible. We hope that seconding people for 12-week project roles will be beneficial and build strong relationships between your organisation and ours. For a copy of the Position Description please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- We would like to reach out to a number of key people in the homelessness and mental health sectors who would be interested in joining a stakeholder information session by teleconference at a later date.
- Advice on specific locations within the priority regions where we might best engage with the target group from organisations with local footprints would be valuable.
- We are seeking expressions of interest in joining a project advisory group.
Get in contact with Embark Project Manager Annika Windon for more information.
T +61 2 9281 3338
Funded by the National Disability Insurance Scheme Visit the NDIS website for more information (www.ndis.gov.au)